We aim to be a highly regarded and independent source of information and support. We publish reports, briefings, and community toolkits. Some of the publications listed have been produced for specific communities or within projects but do talk to us if you are interested in knowing more.
Some recent publications can be downloaded free of charge as PDFs. If you download a publication please consider making a donation to support our work.
How to order
Hard copies of our publications may be ordered by phone or by post.
Tel: (01273) 473422 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note - There will be a charge for publications that are sent by post.
Apples and Orchards in Sussex
A new book from Action in rural Sussex and Brighton Permaculture Trust, by Brian Short and produced with the help of the National lottery
Apples have been cultivated in Sussex since Roman times. As recently as the 1950s a dense network of orchards–big and small, urban and rural–spread right across Sussex. These orchards formed a valued part of everyday lives and livelihoods, and were hospitable to wildlife too. Now is the time to re-establish private and community orchards as a living resource for everyone. This book reflects the new enthusiasm for making fruit-growing in the county of Sussex commonplace once more.
Apples and Orchards in Sussex gives detailed descriptions of all Sussex apple varieties, and is the first cultural history of apples and orchards in Sussex. There are stories from professional growers, gardeners, naturalists and community orchards, exploring our rich and enduring relationship with this amazingly varied fruit.
This book offers practical advice on planting your own apple trees, on joining a community orchard, and on how to find and enjoy locally grown fruit, juice and cider. It describes how orchards can help to fight climate change while boosting social wellbeing and personal health, and provide a beautiful green place for people to enjoy.
The book is aimed at a broad readership including general readers, those interested in fruit growing and cooking, those interested in local history, community activists, volunteers, and professional growers. The book is exquisitely illustrated and would make an ideal gift.
To order our beautiful new book Apples and Orchards in Sussex, please send your details, and a cheque payable to 'Action in rural Sussex' for £17, to Anne Marie Bur, Action in rural Sussex, 212 High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2NH.
For more details about the book please contact Anne-Marie Bur via email: email@example.com ISBN 978-1-873850-23-7
For more details about the book please contact Anne-Marie Bur via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ACRE Policy Position Papers:
- Children and Young People
- Climate Change Environmental Action
- Community Planning
- Older People
- Rural Challenges
- Rural Community Buildings
- Action in rural Sussex - Consultation techniques
- Action in rural Sussex - 9 stage Action Plan process
- Action in rural Sussex - Action Plan Guidance chart
Annual Review & Business Plan
- Action in rural Sussex - Annual Review and Business Plan 08-09
- Action in rural Sussex - Annual Review 2009-10
- Action in rural Sussex - Action Plan 2010-11
Health and Well Being
- Action in rural Sussex - Health and Wellbeing Pack
- Action in rural Sussex - Village Care Information Pack September 2010
How to guides
- Action in rural Sussex - How to Write a Constitution
- Action in rural Sussex - How to Write an Equal Opportunities Policy
- Action in rural Sussex - How to Conduct a Risk Assessment
- Action in rural Sussex - Consultation techniques - Working with Groups
Please note - these publications have not yet been updated with regard to the new Vetting and Barring Guidance outlined here.
Village Halls & Community Buildings
- Action in rural Sussex - LAA Briefing Document - East Sussex
- Action in rural Sussex - LAA Briefing Document - West Sussex
- AirS - Fuel Poverty Leaflet
- Order Form for 'Our Apple Orchards' Publication
- Order Form for Our Apple Orchards Publication 2011